If an Indian tribe, worked through every one of the bureaucratic process using the Bureau of Indian Affairs and might build an online casino in downtown Enid, are you for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos round the state, it is likely you run into other people you know from Enid, partaking in the recreation provided by the casinos. These are the same somebody that has left our town and are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping with the stores, eating on the restaurants, and staying on the hotels within the area.
A brief history:
The power to run bingo games was among the many concessions made to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person created a bingo game that looked like a video slot. We have got all seen the tiny digital bingo card on the top corner with the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos begun to spring up everywhere. After all, you were still playing bingo, just in a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact between your tribes and the State of Oklahoma allowed the use of Vegas style slot machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and much better casinos were built and so are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino are only able to be built within historic tribal boundaries after which placed in a very trust with the U.S. government. Since Enid does not have any casino, is that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it was found, that prior to Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part with the Cherokee Outlet, occupied by the Cherokee people pursuing the Treaty of New Echota and the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the location was a hunting ground of the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive aspects of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are delivered to operate tribal governments and programs due to the citizens. In addition, a portion from the revenue is split while using State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize revenues to enhance infrastructure.
3. Related tourist attractions are built.
4. Jobs are made.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons discovered that over 80 percent with the visitors to casinos were enthusiastic about also doing something apart from gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions including family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian entrepreneurs.
10. Casinos supply a magnet for outside money that failed to previously exist.
11. Local resident who employed to travel outside in the area now stays within the area.
12. More construction jobs are created building casinos.
13. Gambling is an accepted way for governments to raise funds. It is seen as a source of money that is easier to obtain because it is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the following businesses showed an increase in profits, attendance, and customers after a casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts poker online quora shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative elements of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependency.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time used on useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amount of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes can also be influencing gambling as well as other policies affecting Native Americans by handing a lot to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is an increase in the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is named an action addiction. When gambling, the hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more regularly, it brings about tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, therefore it takes more gambling far better stakes, to have the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine game gambling fires up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an internet casino were to petition to make downtown Enid, what would be your opinion? Do you think it could enhance our community or bring social problems we may not want to manage?